Ep. 6: Tara from Running N Reading (Book Recommendations)
In Episode 6, Tara from the blog Running N Reading and I talk about Tara’s job as a clinical chaplain, finding the right listening material for long runs, and a bit about The Bachelor…plus, book recommendations!
Contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How Tara’s job as a clinical chaplain influences what she reads.
- Her listening content of choice for long runs.
- Our issues with listening to fiction on audio while exercising.
- Tara’s Go-To Nonfiction Audiobooks to listen to while running.
- Tara’s simple method for deciding when to DNF a book.
- And, a bit of The Bachelor talk.
Tara’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Still Life by Louise Penny | Buy from Amazon [14:43]
- The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach | Buy from Amazon [16:36]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Our Homesick Songsby Emma Hooper | Buy from Amazon [19:11]
- The Deeper the Water the Uglier the Fish by Katya Apekina | Buy from Amazon [22:33]
One Book She Didn’t Love
One Upcoming Release She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi | Buy from Amazon [5:19]
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande | Buy from Amazon [5:45]
- Everything Happens for a Reason by Kate Bowler | Buy from Amazon [5:56]
- Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [6:52]
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed | Buy from Amazon [13:10]
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed | Buy from Amazon [13:26]
- Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [13:45]
- North by Scott Jurek | Buy from Amazon [13:48]
- Beartown by Fredrik Backman (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [16:53]
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [17:23]
- Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger | Buy from Amazon [18:53]
- This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [21:14]
- Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett | Buy from Amazon [24:16]
- Everything Here is Beautiful by Mira T. Lee | Buy from Amazon [24:27]
- The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger | Buy from Amazon [24:27]
- The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [30:42]
- The Favorite Sister by Jessica Knoll (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [30:42]
- Kate Bowler’s blog
- Author Anne Lamott
- People Magazine Books
- Amazon Best Books of the Month
- Oiselle (running apparel company)
- Author Brene Brown
- The Book on Publishing (Vanity Fair article about The Art of Fielding)
- The Bookshelf (Thomasville, GA) Shelf Subscription
When she’s not working as a hospital chaplain, Tara is usually outside running, often with an audiobook, or reading with two dogs curled around her lap. Her favorite reads are usually literary fiction but she also enjoys engaging thrillers and nonfiction, with a few historical fiction and YA titles thrown in for an occasional break.
Support the Podcast
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.