Ep. 41: Winter 2020 Book Preview
Welcome back for the first episode of 2020…the Winter 2020 Book Preview with Catherine of Gilmore Guide to Books!
Catherine and I share our most anticipated books coming out for the first quarter (January – March) of 2020.
Also, stay tuned for my Most Anticipated Books of Winter 2020 blog post, which is coming out tomorrow. I’ll share some of the books I talked about in this podcast, but also some that I didn’t!
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
Starting this month, I’m introducing a new bonus feature for $5/month podcast patrons! I’m going to do a monthly solo episode (i.e. no co-host) where I do the book recommendations segment from Sarah’s Book Shelves Live.
So, I’ll share…
- 2 Old Books I Love
- 2 New Books I Love
- 1 Book I Didn’t Love (this could be a DNF)
- 1 Upcoming Release I’m Excited About
These episodes will be released around mid-month. I’m so excited to have a place to talk about the books I’m loving (and not loving) beyond just piping in when I happen to have read a book my guest is sharing.
If you’d like access to these episodes (and other bonus content), subscribe for $5/month on Patreon!
- Catherine and my success rate for books we shared in our Fall 2019 Preview episode.
- Our Best and Worst picks from the Fall 2019 Preview episode.
- Catherine shares how her Louise Penny pick from the Fall Preview episode panned out.
- Sarah’s and Catherine’s #1 Winter book picks.
Winter 2020 Book Preview
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid (December 31, 2019) | Buy from Amazon [8:20]
- Long Bright River by Liz Moore (January 7) | Buy from Amazon [14:57]
- We Wish You Luck by Caroline Zancan (January 14) | Buy from Amazon [19:23]
- American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins (January 21) | Buy from Amazon [25:09]
- Topics of Conversation by Miranda Popkey (January 7) | Buy from Amazon [13:13]
- Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict (January 7) | Buy from Amazon [17:29]
- The Cactus League by Emily Nemens (February 4) | Buy from Amazon [31:12]
- Saint X by Alexis Schaitkin (February 18) | Buy from Amazon [36:16]
- Weather by Jenny Offill (February 11) | Buy from Amazon [23:09]
- House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild (February 11) | Buy from Amazon [29:16]
- The Lost Diary of M by Paul Wolfe (February 25) | Buy from Amazon [33:57]
- My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell (March 10) | Buy from Amazon [40:48]
- Darling Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel (March 17) | Buy from Amazon [44:25]
- The Familiar Dark by Amy Engel (March 31) | Buy from Amazon [48:57]
- Writers and Lovers by Lily King (March 3) | Buy from Amazon [38:32]
- A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler (March 10) | Buy from Amazon [43:02]
- The Mountains Sing by Que Mai Phan Nguyen (March 17) | Buy from Amazon [46:26]
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel (March 24) | Buy from Amazon [50:44]
Other Books Mentioned
- The Other’s Gold by Elizabeth Ames (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [4:20] (My Review)
- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [4:38]
- Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia | Buy from Amazon [4:54]
- The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [5:09]
- City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [5:09]
- Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [5:09]
- The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern | Buy from Amazon [5:09]
- The Great Pretender by Susannah Cahalan | Buy from Amazon [5:50]
- Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan (My Review)| Buy from Amazon [5:50]
- A Door in the Earth by Amy Waldman (August 27) | Buy from Amazon [6:29]
- The Submission by Amy Waldman | Buy from Amazon [7:00]
- Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill | Buy from Amazon [14:11]
- Miracle Creek by Angie Kim (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [16:49]
- A Nearly Normal Family by M.T. Edvardsson (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [16:49]
- Dopesick by Beth Macy (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [17:13]
- The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict | Buy from Amazon [17:53]
- The Ensemble by Aja Gabel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [22:43]
- The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild | Buy from Amazon [29:36]
- The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach | Buy from Amazon [32:27]
- Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [33:01]
- The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [33:57]
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng (My Review) | Buy from Amazon[37:44]
- Euphoria by Lily King | Buy from Amazon [38:32]
- From the Corner of the Oval by Beck Dorey-Stein (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [39:45]
- Out East by John Glenn (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [39:45]
- Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitgerald by Therese Anne Fowler (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [43:04]
- On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong | Buy from Amazon [48:05]
- The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [49:40]
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [50:51]
- Mommy Dead and Dearest (HBO documentary about DeeDee Blanchard)
- The Vietnam War (documentary by Ken Burns)
About Catherine Gilmore
Catherine started The Gilmore Guide to Books over 6 years ago after wrapping up a career as a corporate librarian. She loves books and reading (surprise!) and currently lives in Seattle.
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon – When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.