Ep. 23: 2019 So Far’s Hyped Books and Underrated Gems (Carla from Happiest When Reading)
In Episode 23, Carla from Happiest When Reading joins me to break down the 2019 books so far that most deserve the hype, least deserve the hype, and the best underrated gems.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How Carla and my reading has been so far this year.
- How DNF’ing books is keeping Carla out of reading slumps.
- Carla’s trusted recommendation sources (Novel Visits, Gilmore Guide to Books,@basicbsguide, Grace Atwood from Bad on Paper Podcast and The Stripe,Bookpage).
- Sarah’s additions to Carla’s trusted recommendation sources (Currently Reading podcast, The Readerly Report podcast).
- What constitutes “bookish hype” for us.
- A couple of Carla’s trusted authors.
- Carla and I (who are usually reading twins) disagree on two books Carla didn’t think deserved the hype.
2019 Books that MOST Deserved the Hype (So Far)
- Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon[10:02]
- I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott | Buy from Amazon [16:29]
- City of Girlsby Elizabeth Gilbert (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [13:34]
- Golden Child by Claire Adam (My Book of the Month commentary) | Buy from Amazon [18:52]
Our Co-Sign Pick
2019 Books that LEAST Deserved the Hype (So Far)
- The Night Before by Wendy Walker | Buy from Amazon [26:04]
- Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [29:45]
- The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker (My Review) | Buy from Amazon[27:05]
- Normal People by Sally Rooney (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [31:24]
- The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo | Buy from Amazon [35:11]
2019 Underrated Gems (So Far)
- Talk to Me by John Kenney (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [38:50]
- The Body in Question by Jill Ciment | Buy from Amazon [43:02]
- A People’s History of Heavenby Mathangi Subramanian | Buy from Amazon[40:28]
- Sugar Run by Mesha Maron | Buy from Amazon [44:49]
Our Co-Sign Pick
Other Books Mentioned
- The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [7:34]
- The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [7:34]
- The Wife by Meg Wolitzer (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [7:42]
- Miracle Creek by Angie Kim (My Review) | Buy from Amazon[9:46]
- Out East by John Glenn | Buy from Amazon [9:46]
- Live From New York by James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales | Buy from Amazon [11:01]
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [11:35]
- Trust Exercise by Susan Choi (April 9) | Buy from Amazon [25:23]
- Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [26:10]
- The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker | Buy from Amazon [29:24]
- The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson | Buy from Amazon [30:21]
- Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney | Buy from Amazon [32:36]
- Miracle Creek by Angie Kim (My Review) | Buy from Amazon[38:16]
- Out East by John Glenn | Buy from Amazon [38:16]
- The Line That Held Us by David Joy (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [46:42]
- Commonwealth by Ann Patchett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [49:19]
- Sarah’s Best Books of 2019 (So Far)
- Susie at Novel Visits
- Catherine at Gilmore Guide to Books
- Podcast Episode 21 with Mary Laura Philpott
- Trusted Recommendation Sources: Annie Jones, Tyler Goodson, Ashley Spivey
- My 2019 Summer Reading Guide
- Podcast Episode 10 with Kelly from the Well-Read Runner
- Kavitha’s Library Instagram review of Golden Child
- Modern Mrs. Darcy’s 2019 Summer Guide (and the Minimalist version)
- Book of the Month
- Sarah’s Best of the Brain Candy List
- Podcast Episode 2: Winter 2019 Book Preview
As a stay-at-home mama to two “tween” kids, I finally have more time to dedicate to reading. I have loved getting back into a passion of mine that I’ve had since I was a small girl. But sadly, what I quickly came to realize is that I really don’t have a lot of local reading friends. As a way to connect with others who love to read just as much as I do, I started my “Bookstagram” account (@happiestwhenreading). This community has given me a place to engage in bookish conversations, and I can truly say I have made so many online friendships that I’m truly grateful to have.
Support the Podcast
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at email@example.com or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.