Ep. 2: Winter 2019 Book Preview with Catherine from Gilmore Guide to Books
Welcome to a special episode…Winter 2019 Book Preview with Catherine of Gilmore Guide to Books!
Catherine and I share our most anticipated books coming out in January, February, and March of 2019.
Also, stay tuned for my Most Anticipated Books of Winter 2019 blog post, which is coming out tomorrow. I’ll share some of the books I talked about in this podcast, but also many that I didn’t!
- The similarities and differences between Catherine’s and my reading taste.
- How Catherine and I choose which books to read.
- Why we need Brain Candy in our reading.
- How well do you want to know the author behind the work?
Winter 2019 Book Preview
- Sugar Run by Mesha Maron (January 8) | Buy from Amazon [7:31]
- Joy Enough by Sarah McColl (January 15) | Buy from Amazon [10:50]
- Otherwise Engaged by Lindsey J. Palmer (Publication Date Changed to February 26) | Buy from Amazon [13:56]
- The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict (January 8) | Buy from Amazon [9:26]
- Unmarriagable by Soniah Kamal (January 22) | Buy from Amazon [12:45]
- The Current by Tim Johnston (January 22) | Buy from Amazon [16:29]
- Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken (February 5) | Buy from Amazon [18:40]
- American Pop by Snowden Wright (February 5) | Buy from Amazon [22:58]
- The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls by Anissa Gray (February 19) | Buy from Amazon [26:47]
- The Lost Prince: A Search for Pat Conroy by Michael Mewshaw (February 26) | Buy from Amazon [30:09]
- I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella (February 5) | Buy from Amazon [20:42]
- The Chef’s Secret by Crystal King (February 12) | Buy from Amazon [25:36]
- Death is Hard Work by Khaled Khalifa (February 12) | Buy from Amazon [28:27]
- So, Here’s the Thing: Notes on Growing Up, Getting Older, and Trusting Your Gut by Alyssa Mastromonaco (March 5) | Buy from Amazon [34:36]
- White Elephant by Julia Langsdorf (March 26) | Buy from Amazon [39:27]
- The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See (March 5) | Buy from Amazon [33:10]
- A People’s History of Heaven by Mathangi Subramanian (March 19) | Buy from Amazon [37:19]
- The Other Americans by Laila Lalami (March 26) | Buy from Amazon [42:14]
Other Books Mentioned
- Fates & Furies by Lauren Groff (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:00]
- An American Marriage (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:20]
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon[9:44]
- Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [11:27]
- Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:27]
- Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen | Buy from Amazon [12:36]
- Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen | Buy from Amazon [12:59]
- The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [16:00]
- Descent by Tim Johnston | Buy from Amazon [16:34]
- Commonwealth by Ann Patchett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [19:22]
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [20:06]
- A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [20:14]
- Feast of Sorrow by Crystal King | Buy from Amazon [25:43]
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [28:03]
- The Mothers by Brit Bennett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [28:09]
- Beach Music by Pat Conroy | Buy from Amazon [30:54]
- The Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See | Buy from Amazon [33:18]
- Shanghai Girls by Lisa See | Buy from Amazon [33:18]
- The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See | Buy from Amazon [34:20]
- Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? by Alyssa Mastromonaco | Buy from Amazon [35:04]
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo | Buy from Amazon [38:35]
- Alternate Side by Anna Quindlen (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [41:06]
- Final Girls by Riley Sager | Buy from Amazon [41:42]
- The Moor’s Account by Laila Lalami | Buy from Amazon [42:25]
- The New and Improved 2019 Rock Your Reading Tracker (available for purchase for $14.99)
- My Top Recommendation Sources of 2018
- From the Front Porch podcast (co-hosted by Annie Jones and Chris Jensen)
- Spivey’s Club Facebook Group (founded by Ashley Spivey)
- The Affair (Showtime TV series)
- Book Riot’s All the Books Podcast: 2019 Preview
About Catherine Gilmore
Catherine started The Gilmore Guide to Books over 6 years ago after wrapping up a career as a corporate librarian. She loves books and reading (surprise!) and currently lives in Seattle.
Support the Podcast
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at email@example.com or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.