944. Today, we untangle the often confusing web of writing styles. We’ll explore the benefits of loose writing in fiction, creative writing, and academic writing, and how you can vary your sentence length to create a rhythm that resonates with your readers. Plus, we use the difference between “behead” and “decapitate” as a sneaky way to talk about the “be-” and “de-” prefixes in a way every word nerd will love.
The “tight writing” segment was written by Susan Herman, a retired U.S. government multidisciplined language analyst, analytic editor, and instructor.
| HOST: Mignon Fogarty
| VOICEMAIL: 833-214-GIRL (833-214-4475) or https://sayhi.chat/grammargirl
| Grammar Girl is part of the Quick and Dirty Tips podcast network.
- Audio Engineer: Nathan Semes
- Director of Podcasts: Adam Cecil
- Advertising Operations Specialist: Morgan Christianson
- Marketing Associate: Davina Tomlin
- Digital Operations Specialist: Holly Hutchings
| Theme music by Catherine Rannus.