E29: Our World, Reimagined
Nicole and Matthew discuss how this time of safe-at-home is giving readers and bookmakers opportunity to reimagine our world through activism, design, kindness, and mindfulness. Joining is special guest Peter H. Reynolds, best-selling children’s book author, illustrator, bookshop owner, founder of FableVision, and an advocate for creativity and children of all ages.
This episode is sponsored by:
To get even more kidlit news and recommendations, sign up for ourThe Kids Are All Rightnewsletter!
Peter H. Reynolds (homepage)
BOOKS DISCUSSED ON THE SHOW: PICTURE BOOKS:
What If… by Samantha Berger; illustrated by Mike Curato
The Breathing Book by Christopher Willard, PsyD and Olivia Weisser; illustrated by Alison Oliver
Woke: A Young Poet’s Call to Justice by Mahogany L. Browne, Elizabeth Acevedo, Olivia Gatwood, and illustrated by Theodore Taylor, III
You Matter by Christian Robinson
The Bear’s Garden by Marcie Colleen; illustrated by Alison Oliver
Imagine by Juan Felipe Herrera; illustrated byLauren Castillo
What Do You Do With an Idea? by Kobi Yamada; illustrated by Mae Besom
A Good Kind of Trouble by Lisa Moore Ramée
Strange Birds by Celia C. Perez
What Lane?! by Torrey Maldonado
WHERE TO FIND CHILDREN’S BOOKS DURING QUARANTINE
- Your local library– Even as libraries are closing for the quarantine, they have aton of e-books, resources, and movies for kids.
- Epic!– Epic! is the Leading Digital Library for Kids 12 & Under
- Susan Tan’s Authors EverywhereYouTube channel
- How Kids’ Lit Is Responding to the Coronavirus
- Read, Wonder, and Learn – Favorite Authors & Illustrators Share Resources for Learning Anywhere
- COVID-19 Resources compiled by We Need Diverse Books
- Resources for Online PreK-12 Teaching During COVID and Beyond
- Little free libraries– There may be free books in a free library just around the corner from you. Give a book, get a book, and remember to wash those hands!
Let us know what books or topics you’ve been sharing this week, or if you have a suggestion or book recommendation for an upcoming episode. Find us on email (email@example.com) or Twitter (@MatthewWinner and @ittybittyny).
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.