The Penetrator – The Target is H Part 2: Midnight Rehearsal
Our show reconstructs books that have been divided into thirds and assigned to three different hosts. We then recap the book in full over three episodes.
In this episode, Rob from Interrupted Tales and Parasitecology choo choo chooses to reveal where Arya’s Braavosi coin ended up, introduce us to explosive car jousts, and give an insider tip on what to order at Mexican restaurants. (Just don’t tell “Never on Sunday Steve.”)
Check out Alan and Rob’s podcasts!
This week, we discussed the audiodrama Parasitecology.
From the back cover:
MARK HARDIN…The Penetrator. He’d learned how in Vietnam. Infiltrate the enemy’s position, determine the plan of action and then strike swiftly, taking out as many key men as possible, wreaking destruction, leaving chaos in your wake.
Now he was in Los Angeles, engaged in a new, far more sinister war. But he was fully prepared and totally committed, and bound by no rules but his own.
He is tall and slim, reflecting his unique Indian-Welsh background. His driver’s license indicates his age is twenty-eight. If he seems a bit grim, it is for good reason.
He was orphaned at four, when his parents and three brothers and sisters were killed in an automobile crash. Since then he’s been mistreated, brutalized by life, injured in games (football), and wounded in combat. But he’s survived. Mark Hardin is tough, a survivor. And an expert. Marksmanship, karate, aikido, and even the crossbow, are part of his arsenal.
He is a new breed of warrior–without uniform, without rank–dedicated to the American way of life, and pledged to fight anyone who seeks to destroy it. On either side of the law. That’s why he’s in Los Angeles. Just the beginning of a long and lonely series of brushfire wars.
Some relevant characters:
- Mark Hardin: 28 year-old Vietnam vet going through a mid-life crisis. Has very few emotions. On a mission to kill at least 100 people by the end of the book to avenge his friend, Donna Morgan. Skills range from makeup to grenade throwing.
- Donna Morgan: a USC anthropologist who could tell your genetic ancestry just by looking. RIP.
- Professor Haskins: Owner of the Stronghold. Donna’s uncle.
- David Red Eagle: “Old West” medicine man, trains Mark to be stealthy.
- Don Pietro Scarelli: runs a mafia crime ring and takes a lot of phonecalls. Pretty angry at current events and the man behind them (the penetrator).
- His Lordship: A mysterious person on the other end of Don’s speakerphone. Is not Bosley.
- Senator Martyn Corvus: On a committee against organized crime, headed to California to figure out what’s going on with all this dang heroin.
- Officer Kelly Patterson: Not just a cop. An Irish cop.
- Lumpy Louie: A henchman tricked into telling an answering machine all the mafia’s current plans and movement. Dead now.
- Charlie “the Horse” Cavalleri: A criminal who loves ponies and heroin. Was like a son to Don Pietro but now he’s dead. Sad.
Support the show: Thanks to our sponsor, Audible, for giving our listeners a free audiobook credit by going to audibletrial.com/pulp!
We now have a store! Check it out!
Read More About this Season’s Chosen Non-Profit:
“826 National amplifies the impact of our national network of youth writing and publishing centers, and the words of young authors. We serve as an international proof point for writing as a tool for young people to ignite and channel their creativity, explore identity, advocate for themselves and their community, and achieve academic and professional success.”
Follow and chat with us on social media: