The Penetrator – The Target is H Part 1: A Song of Ice and Penetration
Our show reconstructs books that have been divided into thirds and assigned to three different hosts. We then recap the book in full over three episodes.
In this episode, Alan from Interrupted Tales and Parasitecology introduces us to a whole slew of characters but, most importantly, we’ve got Mark Hardin, the penetrator. We find out his hat and glove size, his ancestral DNA, and his mission to kill 100 people to avenge his friend.
Check out Alan and Rob’s podcasts!
The promo this week was for Interrupted Tales.
From the back cover:
MARK HARDIN…The Penetrator. He’d learned how in Vietnam. Infiltrate the enemy’s position, determine the plan of action and then strike swiftly, taking out as many key men as possible, wreaking destruction, leaving chaos in your wake.
Now he was in Los Angeles, engaged in a new, far more sinister war. But he was fully prepared and totally committed, and bound by no rules but his own.
He is tall and slim, reflecting his unique Indian-Welsh background. His driver’s license indicates his age is twenty-eight. If he seems a bit grim, it is for good reason.
He was orphaned at four, when his parents and three brothers and sisters were killed in an automobile crash. Since then he’s been mistreated, brutalized by life, injured in games (football), and wounded in combat. But he’s survived. Mark Hardin is tough, a survivor. And an expert. Marksmanship, karate, aikido, and even the crossbow, are part of his arsenal.
He is a new breed of warrior–without uniform, without rank–dedicated to the American way of life, and pledged to fight anyone who seeks to destroy it. On either side of the law. That’s why he’s in Los Angeles. Just the beginning of a long and lonely series of brushfire wars.
Some relevant characters:
- Mark Hardin: 28 year-old Vietnam vet going through a mid-life crisis. Has very few emotions.
- Donna Morgan: a USC anthropologist who can tell your genetic ancestry just by looking.
- Professor Haskins: Owner of the Stronghold. Donna’s uncle.
- David Red Eagle: “Old West” medicine man, trains Mark to be stealthy.
- Don Pietro Scarelli: runs a mafia crime ring and takes a lot of phonecalls.
- His Lordship: A mysterious person on the other end of Don’s speakerphone. Is not Bosley.
- Lumpy Louie: A henchman tricked into telling an answering machine all the mafia’s current plans and movement.
- Charlie “the Horse” Cavalleri: A criminal who loves ponies and heroin.
Support the show: Thanks to our sponsor, Audible, for giving our listeners a free audiobook credit by going to audibletrial.com/pulp!
We now have a store! Check it out!
Read More About this Season’s Chosen Non-Profit:
“826 National amplifies the impact of our national network of youth writing and publishing centers, and the words of young authors. We serve as an international proof point for writing as a tool for young people to ignite and channel their creativity, explore identity, advocate for themselves and their community, and achieve academic and professional success.”
Follow and chat with us on social media:
Interrupted Bossa Nova: