Mini Ep. 59: Reviving Your Reading Life + Ann Patchett Deep Dive with Alyssa Hertzig (@alyssaisbooked)
In Mini Episode 59, Alyssa Hertzig (@alyssahertzig, @alyssaisbooked) shares how she got back into reading after a long hiatus and we do an impromptu deep dive on Ann Patchett (one of my all-time favorite authors)…plus, celebrity memoirs.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
This episode is sponsored by Book of the Month. Use the code SARAHSBOOKSHELVES at checkout to get your first book for just $9.99!
- How Alyssa started reading again after a long hiatus.
- The first few books that got Alyssa back into reading.
- A celebrity memoir we both loved on audio.
- How coronavirus impacted Alyssa’s reading.
- Alyssa’s recommendation for a great book to get you out of your coronavirus reading rut.
- The beloved book by one of Sarah’s all-time favorite authors that Alyssa loved, but Sarah didn’t.
- A spur-of-the-moment Ann Patchett deep dive.
- Excellent celebrity memoirs.
- A bit of a tangent about the NYC fashion scene.
Alyssa’s Book Recommendations [13:15]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett | Buy from Amazon [13:33]
- Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [20:01]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- All Adults Here by Emma Straub | Buy from Amazon [23:55]
- Open Book by Jessica Simpson (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [26:20]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- The Knockout Queen by Rufi Thorpe (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [1:19]
- A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [1:28]
- Untamedby Glennon Doyle | Buy from Amazon [1:46]
- The Nightingaleby Kristin Hannah (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:06]
- This Will Only Hurt a Littleby Busy Phillips (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:25]
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [10:23]
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [11:03]
- 11/22/63by Stephen King | Buy from Amazon [12:34]
- Recursionby Blake Crouch (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:49]
- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:49]
- The Dutch Houseby Ann Patchett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [13:37]
- Commonwealth by Ann Patchett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [18:08]
- State of Wonderby Ann Patchett | Buy from Amazon [18:32]
- The Lager Queen of Minnesota by J. Ryan Stradal | Buy from Amazon [22:45]
- Openby Andre Agassi | Buy from Amazon [30:07]
- A.L.T.by Andre Leon Talley | Buy from Amazon [39:19]
- The Sparkly Life (Alyssa’s blog)
- Alyssa’s episode of 10 Things to Tell You with Laura Tremaine
- 10 Things to Tell You Ep. 63: Working from Home with Emily Freeman
- “How I’ve Read 50 Books in 6 Months (And How You Can Too),” The Sparkly Life
- Ep.7: Ashley Spivey
- Image of Andre Leon Talley
- “Designer Ralph Rucci says the door is open to criticize Anna Wintour”, The New York Post
Alyssa spent over a decade as a beauty editor at various magazines such as Allure, Brides, and Good Housekeeping.
She left the magazine world about 4 years ago to become a freelance writer.
She now splits her time as a freelance writer and editor covering primarily beauty topics…and as a blogger at The Sparkly Life, a lifestyle blog covering books, parenting, fashion, and more.
She lives in Hoboken, New Jersey (that’s right across the river from NYC), with my husband and two kids.
Summer 2020 Book Preview with Catherine from Gilmore Guide to Books (airing Wednesday, May 27).
Support the Podcast
- Support on PatreonWhen you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
- ShareIf you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe …wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and ReviewSearch for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!