Mini Ep. 57: 2 Old Books We Both Loved with Liz Hein (@lizhein89)
In Mini Episode 57, Liz Hein (@lizhein89) and I talk about two old books we both love and a beloved campus novel Liz didn’t love.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- The situation with distance learning at my kids’ school and Liz’s school where she’s an administrator.
- How coronavirus has impacted Liz’s reading…including pushing her to re-read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
- Why we were perplexed by the release (date and marketing) of The Heart’s Invisible Furies.
- Why dark books are surprisingly working well for us during coronavirus.
- Liz reveals she does not like campus novels.
- Liz shares why she hated a beloved modern classic novel.
Liz’s Book Recommendations [7:39]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:14]
- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [13:11]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Gwendy’s Magic Feather by Richard Chizmar | Buy from Amazon [16:54]
- Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore | Buy from Amazon [21:49]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [6:34]
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [11:28]
- Moby Dickby Herman Melville | Buy from Amazon [14:49]
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi | Buy from Amazon [15:28]
- Young Jane Youngby Gabrielle Zevin (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [16:27]
- Gwendy’s Button Box by Richard Chizmar and Stephen King | Buy from Amazon [17:05]
- Fantasticland by Mike Bockoven | Buy from Amazon [20:59]
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [24:09]
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [26:11]
- We Wish You Luck by Caroline Zancan (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [30:00]
- The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine | Buy from Amazon [31:01]
Liz went to college to become an English teacher to spend all day talking about books! That transitioned to an administrative position at a high school in Milwaukee, WI. Even though she doesn’t teach books anymore, she is consistently and perhaps obnoxiously recommending books to students and really anyone that will listen.
Summer Reading Guide Special episode with Susie from Novel Visits (airing Wednesday, May 13).
Support the Podcast
- Support on PatreonWhen you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
- ShareIf you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe …wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and ReviewSearch for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!