Mini Ep. 44: Historical Fiction & History Nonfiction with Jayda Justus (@thehistorymom)
In Mini Episode 44, Jayda Justus (@thehistorymom) shares historical fiction and nonfiction history books paired with historical sites.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Recent books about women’s roles in past wars.
- Jayda’s and my Enneagram numbers.
- Jayda’s 2020 reading goal of reading 85% historical fiction or nonfiction.
- One of the rare books Jayda DNF’d.
Jayda’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- The Last Ballad by Wiley Cash | Buy from Amazon [8:16]
- Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy by Karen Abbott (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [11:43]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Time After Time by Lisa Grunwald | Buy from Amazon [15:43]
- The League of Wives by Heath Hardage Lee | Buy from Amazon [18:58]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
- Mrs. Lincoln’s Sisters: A Novelby Jennifer Chiaverini (Released June 2, 2020) | Buy from Amazon [25:44]
Other Books Mentioned
- Code Girls by Liza Mundy | Buy from Amazon [2:55]
- Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly | Buy from Amazon [2:55]
- I Survived Series by Lauren Tarshis | Buy from Amazon [6:52]
- This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [9:07]
- 11/22/63 by Stephen King | Buy from Amazon [16:44]
- Nothing to See Hereby Kevin Wilson (My Review)| Buy from Amazon [16:44]
- The Spymistress by Jennifer Chiaverini | Buy from Amazon [25:56]
- We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [27:45]
- What Should I Read Next? podcast
- Levine Museum of the New South (Charlotte, NC) – paired with The Last Ballad
- American Civil War Museum (Richmond, VA) – paired with Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy
- Grand Central Station (New York, NY) – paired with Time After Time
- Virginia Museum of History and Culture (Richmond, VA) – paired with The League of Wives
Jayda Justus is a writer and blogger at “The History Mom,” where she reviews historical sites and experiences for families. These reviews provide helpful tips and reading lists to enhance visits for families and encourage parents to make historical sightseeing part of their vacations. She is originally from the historical town of Kings Mountain, NC, and lives in Richmond, VA. Previously, Jayda worked as Legislative Director for Rep. Sue Myrick on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC and majored in History and Political Science at Furman University. Her blog can be found at https://thehistorymom.com. She was recently featured on NBC 12’s RVA Parenting and was a panelist at the 1455 Summer Literary Festival. Support the Podcast
- Support on PatreonWhen you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
- ShareIf you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe …wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and ReviewSearch for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!