Mini Ep. 37: More Than a Mini Episode with Elizabeth Chapman (@samandscout)
In Mini Episode 37, Elizabeth Chapman and I talk for so long about books that it can’t technically be called a mini episode.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How blogs, podcasts, and #bookstagram helped her go from not finishing her assigned reading in high school to becoming a high school English teacher.
- A type of book Elizabeth doesn’t like to read that will surprise you given her profession.
- Books that are “mirrors” and “windows.”
- Thoughts on Dopesick from a resident of the town where it takes place.
- Elizabeth’s class’s reaction to Dopesick.
- A novel being compared to Lord of the Flies, The Hunger Games, and The Handmaid’s Tale.
- A lengthy debate about Normal People by Sally Rooney.
- Speculation on why publishers and/or authors sometimes decide not to use quotation marks for dialogue.
- We debate the New Year’s Eve release date for Elizabeth’s upcoming release she’s excited about.
Elizabeth’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:39]
- Dopesick by Beth Macy (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:30]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [18:40]
- The Grace Year by Kim Liggett | Buy from Amazon [22:26]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- Columbine by Dave Cullen (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [17:59]
- The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [21:23]
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding | Buy from Amazon [22:49]
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Buy from Amazon [22:49]
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood | Buy from Amazon [22:49]
- The Power by Naomi Alderman | Buy from Amazon [26:53]
- Red Clocks by Leni Zumas | Buy from Amazon [26:53]
- Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney | Buy from Amazon [32:12]
- That Kind of Mother by Rumaan Alam | Buy from Amazon [34:39]
- Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult | Buy from Amazon [34:39]
- Elizabeth’s blog: Teaching Sam and Scout
- Episode 34 with Sara Hildreth from @fictionmatters
- Episode 36 with Claire Gibson (Author of Beyond the Point)
Elizabeth and her husband live in Roanoke, Virginia with their two kids (Sam, 8 and Nora, 4) and their Golden Retriever (Addy, 11). Monday through Friday, she also has 75 other “kids” as a high school English teacher — her dream job because it allows her to spend her days talking about books and life and introducing students to stories that teach them more about themselves, others, and the world around them. When she’s not driving her minivan to soccer practice or grading papers (actually, often while she does those things thanks to audiobooks), she is usually reading something new/popular just for fun. She loves memoir, thriller/true-crime, romance, literary fiction, and young adult books… Don’t tell, but she much prefers these to most of the “classics.” On the off night she gets the kids to bed on time, Elizabeth blogs at Teaching Sam & Scout about her family, her job, the blending of those two things, and – of course – her recent reads. Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon – When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!