This episode we’re talking about Beach Reads! We discuss what counts as a beach read, what doesn’t count as a beach read, whether any of us has even been to a beach recently (yes!), and more. Plus: We play “two truths and a lie” with books!
You can download the podcast directly, find it on Libsyn, or get it through Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or your favourite podcast delivery system.
In this episode
Anna Ferri | Meghan Whyte | Matthew Murray | RJ Edwards
Two Real Books and One Fake
- Contemporary romance (RJ)
- Endurance Sports (Meghan)
- Domestic Thriller (Matthew)
- Travel Memoir (Anna)
Other Media We Mentioned
- Mostly Dead Things by Kristen Arnett
- Death on the Beach by Anna Johannsen
- Beach Read by Emily Henry
- That’s a Christmas to Me #1
- Take a Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert
Links, Articles, and Things
- What Makes a Book a Beach Read?
- Read it and keep: is it time to reassess the ‘beach read’?
- What Is a Beach Read, and Why?
- Vancouver’s comedic and controversial ‘Barge Chilling Beach’ sign is no more
- Old-Timey Bathing Suit (TV Tropes)
- Call for Papers: Hallmark movies!
Westerns by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, & People of Colour) Authors
Every month Book Club for Masochists: A Readers’ Advisory Podcasts chooses a genre at random and we read and discuss books from that genre. We also put together book lists for each episode/genre that feature works by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, & People of Colour) authors. All of the lists can be found here.
- Stone Song by Win Blevins
- Prize Money by Celeste Castro
- The Good Luck Girls by Charlotte Nicole Davis
- Gabriel’s Story by David Anthony Durham
- The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich
- Wounded by Percival Everett
- God’s Country by Percival Everett
- Woman of Light by Kali Fajardo-Anstine
- Book of the Little Axe by Lauren Francis-Sharma
- Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
- The Thousand Crimes of Ming Tsu by Tom Lin
- Hundred in the Hand by Joseph M. Marshall III
- The Devil’s Revolver by V.S. McGrath
- The Righteous Revenge of Artemis Bonner by Walter Dean Myers
- Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down by Ishmael Reed
- That Deadman Dance by Kim Scott
- Dream Wheels by Richard Wagamese
- Fools Crow by James Welch
- The Death of Jim Loney by James Welch
- How Much of These Hills Is Gold by C Pam Zhang
Give us feedback!
- Fill out the form to ask for a recommendation or suggest a genre or title for us to read!
Check out our Tumblr, follow us on Twitter or Instagram, join our Facebook Group, or send us an email!
Join us again on Tuesday, July 5th we’ll be discussing the genre of Humour Non-Fiction!
Then on Tuesday, July 19th it’s time for our “we all read the same book” book pitches!