This episode we’re talking about Books and Food! (Or Comestibles while Consuming Content!)
We discuss finding podcasts in the woods, reading in cafes, cheezos, why you should carry small rocks around with you, dropping food on books, which crustaceans are most likely to be anarchists, lists of cozy mystery novel titles, and how we’re (not really) influencers. Plus: Books that have spin-off foods!
You can download the podcast directly, find it on Libsyn, or get it through Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or your favourite podcast delivery system.
In this episode
Anna Ferri | Meghan Whyte | Matthew Murray | RJ Edwards
Media We Mentioned
- Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 1 by Ryoko Kui,
- Drifting Dragons, Vol. 1 by Taku Kuwabara
- Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu, Vol 1 by Virginia Nitouhei and Natsuya Semikawa
- Redwall by Brian Jacques (Wikipedia)
- Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (Wikipedia)
- Serve it Forth: Cooking With Anne McCaffrey
- Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist by Tim Federle
- Nanny Ogg’s Cookbook by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs, Tina Hannan, and Paul Kidby
- One Piece: Pirate Recipes by Sanji
- A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers
Links, Articles, and Things
- Cafe Deux Soleils
- (Apparently it’s for sale, someone buy it so RJ can keep going)
- Zenaida’s Cafe
- Matthew’s pastry/tea picture on Instagram
- Kamala Khan (Wikipedia)
- Episode 143 – Amish Romance
- Arthropods of Anarchy
- Episode 059 – Food and Cooking
- Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World by Mark Pendergrast
- Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck by Matt Holloway and Michelle Davis
- Episode 007 – Cozy Mysteries
- Feta Attraction by Susannah Hardy
- Killer Crullers by Jessica Beck
- Floured Felonies by Jessica Beck
- Illegally Iced by Jessica Beck
- Chili Con Carnage by Kylie Logan
- Chili con Carnage by Hillary Avis (yes, there are TWO books called this)
- Sconed to Death by Lynn Cahoon (Matthew managed to pronounce this one in a way where the pun title is not obvious…)
- Strangled Eggs and Ham by Maddie Day
- Hot and Sour Suspects by Vivien Chien
- Death by Dumpling by Vivien Chien
- Fatal Fried Rice by Vivien Chien
- Dim Sum of All Fears by Vivien Chien
- Jack Reacher (Wikipedia)
- Episode 006 – Books in Translation
- The Dinner by Herman Koch, translated by Sam Garrett
- Unpacking (video game) (Wikipedia)
- Turkish delight (Wikipedia)
- Apparently The Willy Wonka Candy Company no longer exists?
- The Storm Crow
- Phileas Fogg snacks (Wikipedia)
- Sprouted bread (Wikipedia)
- The Temptation of St. Anthony (Dalí) (Wikipedia)
15 Non-Fiction Relationships/Romance by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, & People of Colour) Authors
Every month Book Club for Masochists: A Readers’ Advisory Podcasts chooses a genre at random and we read and discuss books from that genre. We also put together book lists for each episode/genre that feature works by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, & People of Colour) authors. All of the lists can be found here.
- I Can’t Date Jesus: Love, Sex, Family, Race, and Other Reasons I’ve Put My Faith in Beyoncé by Michael Arceneaux
- It’s Complicated (But It Doesn’t Have to Be): A Modern Guide to Finding and Keeping Love by Paul Carrick Brunson
- Nedí Nezų (Good Medicine) by Tenille Campbell
- Respect: Everything a Guy Needs to Know about Sex, Love, and Consent by Inti Chavez Perez
- Single and Forced to Mingle: A Guide for (Nearly) Any Socially Awkward Situation by Melissa Croce
- How To Get Over A Boy by Chidera Eggerue
- That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story by Huda Fahmy
- If Someone Says “You Complete Me,” Run!: Whoopi’s Big Book of Relationships by Whoopi Goldberg
- All About Love: New Visions by bell hooks
- Radical Friendship: Seven Ways to Love Yourself and Find Your People in an Unjust World by Kate Johnson
- Love’s Not Color Blind: Race and Representation in Polyamorous and Other Alternative Communities by Kevin A. Patterson
- She’s Just Not That Into You: The Fab Femme’s Guide to Queer Love and Dating by Aryka Randall
- It’s Hard to Fight Naked by Niecy Nash
- Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close by Aminatou Sow & Ann Friedman
- Set Boundaries, Find Peace: A Guide to Reclaiming Yourself by Nedra Glover Tawwab
Give us feedback!
- Fill out the form to ask for a recommendation or suggest a genre or title for us to read!
Check out our Tumblr, follow us on Twitter or Instagram, join our Facebook Group, or send us an email!
Join us again on Tuesday, April 5th when we’ll be discussing the genre of Contemporary Fantasy!
Then on Tuesday, April 19th we’ll be doing our occasional Non-Bookclub Media Consumption episodes!