You voted for it, so this episode we’re talking about Amish Romance! (Just in time for Valentine’s Day!) We discuss romance, sex, chasteness, cultural appropriation, bonnet rippers, and terrible pies!
You can download the podcast directly, find it on Libsyn, or get it through Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or your favourite podcast delivery system.
In this episode
Anna Ferri | Meghan Whyte | Matthew Murray | RJ Edwards | Tillie Yoder
Things We Read (or tried to…)
- The Amish Widow’s Secret by Cheryl Williford
- The Coffee Corner by Amy Clipston
- Made with Love by Tricia Goyer and Sherry Gore
- An Amish Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Beckstrand, Charlotte Hubbard, and Kelly Long
- Between You and Me by Susan Wiggs
Other Media We Mentioned
- The Dawn of Christmas: A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country by Cindy Woodsmall
- Snowfall by Shelley Shepard Gray
- Christmas at Rose Hill Farm: An Amish Love Story by Suzanne Woods Fisher
- Little Fish by Casey Plett
- Amish Vampires in Space by Kerry Nietz
- A Forbidden Rumspringa by Keira Andrews
- Amish Christmas Baby Gone by Samantha Price
- An Amish Husband for Tillie by Amy Lillard
- “Weird” Al Yankovic – Amish Paradise
- Protector of the Realm by Gun Brooke (lesbian spacestation captain romance)
- Justice League of America: The Nail by Alan Davis and Mark Farmer
- Kim Luna und der Fluch des Wiedertäufers by Dietmar Krüger
- PunisherMAX, Vol. 1: Kingpin by Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon
- Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
- Thrill of the Chaste: The Allure of Amish Romance Novels by Valerie Weaver-Zercher
- Just Plain Wrong Podcast
- Podcasters Panel: A Glimpse Behind the Microphone
- Down Time with Cranston Public Library
- Book Club for Masochists:
Links, Articles, and Things
- Anabaptism (Wikipedia)
- Amish romance (Wikipedia)
- Pennsylvania Dutch language (Wikipedia)
- Hutterite German (Wikipedia)
- Long s (Wikipedia)
- Rumspringa (Wikipedia)
- Why do the Amish practice shunning?
- Smart Bitches, Trashy Books
- Pyrex (Wikipedia)
15 Religious Romance books by Authors of Colour
Every month Book Club for Masochists: A Readers’ Advisory Podcasts chooses a genre at random and we read and discuss books from that genre. We also put together book lists for each episode/genre that feature works by POC (People of Colour) authors. All of the lists can be found here.
- The Someday List by Stacy Hawkins Adams
- The One Who Rocked Away by Joanna Alonzo
- Courting Samira by Amal Awad
- The Summer of Me by Angela Benson
- Everybody Say Amen by ReShonda Tate Billingsley
- Sunny G’s Series of Rash Decisions by Navdeep Singh Dhillon
- Passing by Samaria by Sharon Ewell Foster
- The Preacher’s Promise by Piper Huguley
- Hana Khan Carries On by Uzma Jalaluddin
- Sunday Brunch by Norma L. Jarrett
- Bring on the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins
- Forbidden by Faith by Negeen Papehn
- She Wore Red Trainers by Na’ima B. Robert
- In Search of a Prince by Toni Shiloh
- Sushi for One? by Camy Tang
Give us feedback!
- Fill out the form to ask for a recommendation or suggest a genre or title for us to read!
Check out our Tumblr, follow us on Twitter or Instagram, join our Facebook Group, or send us an email!
Join us again on Tuesday, February 15th when we’ll be discussing “What is a book?”
Then on Tuesday, March 1st when we’ll be discussing the genre of Anthropology Non-Fiction!