Ep. 70: All Things Audiobooks with Claire Handscombe of Libro.fm
Special Offer for New $5/month Patrons (sign up here)
Plus, we’ve got some fun things planned for patrons for the end of the year:
- Best Books of 2020 Tournament for Patrons (culminating in a bonus podcast episode breaking down the tournament)
- Goodreads Choice Awards Breakdown – bonus podcast episode with Carla from Happiest When Reading
- “How to Get the Most Out of Your 2021 Reading Tracker” bonus podcast episode (plus, a 25% discount on the purchase of the 2021 tracker for patrons)
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How Libro.fm supports independent bookstores.
- The biggest differences between Libro.fm and Audible (including some I was unaware of).
- What happens to the author of an audiobook you return to Audible.
- How to return an audiobook to Libro.fm (email email@example.com).
- Steps Libro.fm has taken to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Tips for people who tend to zone out while listening to audiobooks.
- “Starter” audiobook recommendations [21:43]
- 2020 audiobook listening trends and any changes in listening trends when COVID-19 hit.
- Audiobooks that would make great gifts [26:12]
- Big audiobooks coming out this winter that we should be excited about [28:19]
Claire’s Book Recommendations [33:53]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Come to the Edge by Christina Haag | Buy from Libro.fm [33:48]
- Dear Mr. You by Mary Louise Parker | Buy from Libro.fm [36:36]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Pelosi by Molly Ball | Buy from Libro.fm [39:04]
- A Very Punchable Face by Colin Jost | Buy from Libro.fm [42:12]
One Book She DIDN’T LOVE
- The Colour of Bee Larkham’s Murder by Sarah J. Harris [44:27]
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Last 5 Star Book Claire Read [50:53]
Other Books Mentioned
- Unscripted by Claire Handscombe [6:26]
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed | Buy from Libro.fm [18:28]
- Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell | Buy from Libro.fm [20:39]
- Open Book by Jessica Simpson (My Review) | Buy from Libro.fm [21:08]
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah [21:11]
- Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham | Buy from Libro.fm [22:01]
- Becoming by Michelle Obama (My Review) | Buy from Libro.fm [22:55]
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi | Buy from Libro.fm [24:47]
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (My Review) | Buy from Libro.fm [26:31]
- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett (My Review) | Buy from Libro.fm [26:31]
- Circe by Madeline Miller (My Review) | Buy from Libro.fm [26:49]
- The Best of Me by David Sedaris | Buy from Libro.fm [26:54]
- One Life by Megan Rapinoe [27:08]
- Dolly Parton, Songteller: My Life in Lyrics by Dolly Parton | Buy from Libro.fm [27:18]
- A Promised Land by Barack Obama | Buy from Libro.fm [28:26]
- Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline | Buy from Libro.fm [30:03]
- The Last Days of John Lennon by James Patterson, Casey Sherman, and Dave Wedge | Buy from Libro.fm [30:17]
- The Secret Lives of Church Ladies by Deesha Philyaw | Buy from Libro.fm [30:55]
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man by Emmanuel Acho | Buy from Libro.fm [32:04]
- Mediocre by Ijeoma Oluo [32:47]
- Super Host by Kate Russo | Buy from Libro.fm [32:57]
- The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro | Buy from Libro.fm [48:12]
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro | Buy from Libro.fm [48:12]
- Vroman’s Bookstore (Pasadena, CA)
- Libro.fm Playlists: 2020 BIPOC Audiobooks, Dear White People, How to Be an Antiracist Audiobooks, Audiobooks by Indigenous Authors, Audiobooks by Latinx Authors, Not-So-Straight-On Til Morning
- 18 Things You Can Do While You Listen to Audiobooks by Claire Handscombe
- Frequently Gifted Audiobooks Playlist
- Dolly Parton’s America (podcast)
Claire is a British writer who moved to Washington, DC, in 2012, ostensibly to study for an MFA in Creative Writing at American University, but really, let’s be honest, because of an obsession with The West Wing.
She focussed on fiction during her MFA, but also took classes in literary journalism, poetry translation, and political speechwriting (because, yes, of The West Wing).
Her work has appeared in a wide variety of publications in four countries, including both of the UK’s best-selling writing magazines, as well as the Washington Post. She is also a regular contributor to the largest independent book site in the US, Book Riot, and the host of the Brit Lit Podcast, a fortnightly show of news and views from British books and publishing.
Her début novel, Unscripted, is forthcoming from Unbound. She is also the author of Conquering Babel: A Practical Guide to Learning a Language, as well as the editor of an anthology of essays and interviews about the impact of The West Wing on lives and culture.