Ep. 7: Ashley Spivey (Galentine’s Day Book Recommendations & Bachelor Talk)
In Episode 7, Ashley Spivey (founder of #SpiveysClub Facebook Group and former Bachelor contestant) shares Galentine’s Day book recommendations and talks a bit of The Bachelorbehind-the-scenes!
We had a lot to cover this week (including 3 extra book recommendations from Ashley!), so the episode as a little longer than you’re used to. But, I don’t think you’ll be mad about it!
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Surviving The Bachelor without being allowed to read.
- A bit of behind-the-scenes of The Bachelor & what it’s like to be a contestant on the show.
- Why Ashley doesn’t like reading books in advance of publication.
- Sarah’s favorite podcasts.
- Why Ashley rarely DNF’s books.
- Ashley’s dream job.
- Authors on social media (and some that are particularly good follows).
- Why Ashley doesn’t read books about The Bachelor anymore.
Ashley’s Book Recommendations
Four OLD Books She Loves
- Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt | Buy from Amazon [22:29]
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson | Buy from Amazon [25:01]
- Forever is the Worst Long Time by Camille Pagan | Buy from Amazon [27:37]
- Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo | Buy from Amazon [31:24]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Tell Me Lies by Carola Lovering | Buy from Amazon [33:47]
- Matchmaking for Beginners by Maggie Dawson | Buy from Amazon [37:05]
One Book She Didn’t Love
Two Upcoming Releases She’s Excited About
- Otherwise Engaged by Lindsey J. Palmer (Publication Date: February 26) | Buy from Amazon[43:52]
- The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvais Graves (Release Date: April 2, 2019) | Buy from Amazon [46:51]
Other Books Mentioned
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel | Buy from Amazon [3:54]
- Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart | Buy from Amazon [10:34]
- Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center | Buy from Amazon [12:52]
- How to Walk Away by Katherine Center (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [13:04]
- It’s Not Okay: Turning Heartbreak into Happily Never After by Andi Dorfman | Buy from Amazon [18:18]
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern | Buy from Amazon [22:02]
- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [24:26]
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [24:44]
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [24:44]
- Life and Other Near-Death Experiences by Camille Pagan | Buy from Amazon [27:49]
- I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott | Buy from Amazon [29:29]
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Buy from Amazon [32:15]
- The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. by Adelle Waldman (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [35:47]
- The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman | Buy from Amazon [38:24]
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [41:15]
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr | Buy from Amazon [41:45]
- Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian | Buy from Amazon [41:45]
- On the Island by Tracey Garvais Graves | Buy from Amazon [46:59]
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang | Buy from Amazon [47:31]
- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion | Buy from Amazon [47:40]
- Bachelor Nation by Amy Kauffman (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [49:21]
- The Favorite Sister by Jessica Knoll (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [51:06]
- The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [51:06]
- Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld | Buy from Amazon [51:16]
- American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld | Buy from Amazon [51:26]
- You Think It, I’ll Say It: Stories by Curtis Sittenfeld (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [51:26]
- #SpiveysClub Facebook Group
- The Strand Bookstore in New York City
- Sarah’s 2018 Summer Reading Guide
- Some of Sarah’s Favorite Podcasts: From the Front Porch, Gladiator, Dirty John
- Camille Pagan Twitter and Instagram
- Emily Giffin Twitter (her Instagram is sadly private)
- The Stripe blog (Twitter, Instagram)
- Bad on Paper podcast (Instagram)
- The Tattooist of Auschwitz scandal
- Reality Steve
Ashley is the founder of the #SpiveysClub Facebook Group and Book Club. She’s also co-host of the He Said, She Said Podcast sharing advice on life and love with Reality Steve. Prior to all that, she was a contestant on Season 15 of The Bachelor with Brad Womack.
Support the Podcast
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.