Ep. 68: Eilene Zimmerman (Author of Smacked: A Story of White-Collar Ambition, Addiction, and Tragedy)
In Episode 68, Eilene Zimmerman (author of Smacked) shares how she decided to go public with her experience discovering her ex-husband was addicted to drugs, her research into addiction in the legal profession, and how Peter’s death shaped Eilene’s life now.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How Eilene went from not divulging the real reason Peter died beyond a very small circle of friends and family to writing a memoir about her experience.
- How her kids have been doing since Smacked was published.
- How Peter’s law firm reacted to the NYT article and the book’s publication.
- When Eilene believes Peter first started using.
- What it was like for Eilene to go through this as Peter’s ex-wife (rather than as his wife).
- Why she started missing Peter after he passed away (even though they’d been split up for quite awhile).
- Addiction in the legal profession and the toxic culture of BigLaw.
- Eilene’s journalism career and how Peter’s addiction and death shaped her journalism career moving forward.
- Smacked being optioned for film by Elisabeth Moss’ production company.
Eilene’s Book Recommendations [30:38]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Less by Andrew Sean Greer | Buy from Amazon [31:07]
- Circe by Madeline Miller (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [32:37]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- The Gifted School by Bruce Holsinger | Buy from Amazon [37:17]
- The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [39:10]
One Book She DIDN’T LOVE
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Last 5 Star Book Eilene Read [46:54]
Other Books Mentioned
- Smacked by Eilene Zimmerman | Buy from Amazon [0:54]
- The Boys’ Club by Erika Katz (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [22:55]
- Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [35:58]
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [35:58]
- Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [36:02]
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [39:10]
- The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman | Buy from Amazon [45:01]
- Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman | Buy from Amazon [45:01]
- The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [46:25]
- “The Lawyer, the Addict” by Eilene Zimmerman, The New York Times
Eilene Zimmerman is a journalist and social worker. For three decades, she has written about business, technology and social issues for a wide array of national magazines and newspapers. She was a columnist for The New York Times Sunday Business section for six years and since 2004 has been a regular contributor to the newspaper. In September 2020, Zimmerman completed a masters degree in social work.
There will not be a new episode next week since the podcast is on a bi-weekly schedule.
The following week, there will be a full length episode featuring Peace Adzo Medie, author of His Only Wife (airing October 28).