Ep. 49: Zibby Owens (Host of Moms Don’t Have Time to Read Books Podcast)
In Episode 49, Zibby Owens (Host of the Moms Don’t Have Time to Read Books Podcast) talks about what it’s like to interview authors and shares some of her favorite memoirs.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
This episode is sponsored by Book of the Month. Use the code SARAHSBOOKSHELVES at checkout to get your first book for just $9.99!
- How Zibby ended up podcasting about books after getting her MBA (Masters of Business Administration).
- Why Zibby decided to start the podcast.
- How Zibby gets it all done while being a mom to 4 kids.
- How Zibby decides which authors to have on her podcast.
- The book Zibby has written that’s sitting in her apartment.
- Zibby’s favorite types of books to read.
- Zibby’s advice for moms who truly feel they don’t have time to read books.
- A bonus upcoming release Zibby is excited about.
Zibby’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Slow Motion by Dani Shapiro | Buy from Amazon [20:29]
- The Rules of Inheritance by Claire Bidwell Smith | Buy from Amazon [22:29]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- To Love and Let Go by Rachel Brathen | Buy from Amazon [24:17]
- Motherland: A Memoir of Love, Loathing, and Longing by Elissa Altman | Buy from Amazon [26:41]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
- Zibby shares her stance on publicly talking about books she doesn’t like. [29:00]
Two NEW RELEASES She’s Excited About
- The End of the Day by Bill Clegg (Release Date: June 4, 2020) | Buy from Amazon [31:37]
- Empty by Susan Burton (Release Date: June 23, 2020) | Buy from Amazon [32:59]
Other Books Mentioned
- The Woman in the Park by Teresa Sorkin | Buy from Amazon [13:32]
- Inheritance by Dani Shapiro | Buy from Amazon [21:16]
- The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [23:48]
- Wild Gameby Adrienne Brodeur (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [27:44]
- Portrait of an Addict as a Young Man by Bill Clegg | Buy from Amazon [31:43]
- Did You Ever Have a Family? by Bill Clegg (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [32:05]
- Long Bright River by Liz Moore (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [35:40]
- “New York’s Most Powerful Book-fluencer Runs a Podcast on Park Avenue” (Vulture)
- Moms Don’t Have Time to Read Books Episode with Dani Shapiro
- Rachel Brathen on Instagram (@Yoga_girl)
Zibby Owens is a writer and mother of four in New York City. She is the creator and host of award-winning literary podcast, “Moms Don’t Have Time to Read Books” and runs a literary salon with author events and book fairs from her home.
Zibby published her first article, a personal essay for Seventeen magazine, when she was in high school and has been writing ever since. She has covered topics such as books, parenting, health/fitness, weddings, grief, friendship, beauty, and aging. Most recently, she has focused on finding the humor in the everyday struggles of motherhood. She is represented by Joe Veltre at Gersh.
Her work has appeared in Redbook, Marie Claire, Shape, SELF, Modern Bride and other magazines, as well as online in the New York Times, Parents, TODAY Parents, Huff Post, Scary Mommy, What’s Up Moms, Kveller, Mommy Nearest and Medium.
A graduate of Yale University and Harvard Business School, Zibby has a marketing and branding background, especially for start-ups and consumer products companies. She currently lives in Manhattan, where she was born and raised, with her four children ages 5-12 and her husband, Kyle Owens, of Morning Moon Productions.
Mini Episode featuring Julia Spence (@gameofreading)…airing March 11.
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon – When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
- ShareIf you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe …wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and ReviewSearch for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!