Ep. 43: Jordan Moblo (@jordys.book.club) on Growing a #Bookstagram Account
In Episode 43, Jordan Moblo talks about how he grew his #bookstagram account to over 35,000 followers in a year and a half and shares tips for growing your own #bookstagram account.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Why Jordan started his #bookstagram account (and what his husband thought about it initially).
- How he grew his account to 30,000 followers in the age of the Instagram algorithm.
- How he feels about being a male in the predominantly female #bookstagram community.
- How Jordan fits his #bookstagram “work” in given he has a full-time job.
- The origin of the white coffee mug.
- How Jordan found his #bookstagram “aesthetic.”
- Jordan’s best photography and photo editing tips.
- How Jordan jumped from reading 15 books a year (pre-#bookstagram) to reading 225 books in 2019.
- How both Jordan and I got to be Book of the Month judges.
- Jordan’s Mystery Book Club.
Jordan’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books He Loves
- Fantasticland by Mike Bockoven | Buy from Amazon [23:35]
- The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh | Buy from Amazon [26:04]
Two NEW Books He Loves
- You Are Not Aloneby Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen (Out March 3) | Buy from Amazon [28:48]
- Anyone by Charles Soule | Buy from Amazon [33:46]
One Book He DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE He’s Excited About
- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakesby Suzanne Collins (Release Date: May 19, 2020)| Buy from Amazon [39:13]
Other Books Mentioned
- The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell | Buy from Amazon [20:48]
- Nothing to See Hereby Kevin Wilson (My Review)| Buy from Amazon [22:06]
- The Fountains of Silenceby Ruta Sepetys | Buy from Amazon [22:06]
- Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [25:36]
- Recursion by Blake Crouch (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [28:10]
- An Anonymous Girlby Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [28:48]
- The Wife Between Usby Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen | Buy from Amazon [31:10]
- The Oracle Year by Charles Soule | Buy from Amazon [34:30]
- Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan (My Review)| Buy from Amazon [37:43]
- The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins | Buy from Amazon [39:26]
- Steph at Pie Lady Books
- Jordan’s #bookstagram tutorial post
- Facetune (photo editing app)
- Preview (Instagram app)
- Jordan’s Book of the Month essay on The Family Upstairs
- Sarah’s Book of the Month essay on Nothing to See Here
- Ep. 25: Siobhan Jones (Book of the Month Editorial Director)
- Ep. 40: Byrd Leavell (Literary Agent with United Talent Agency)
- Carrie from Boston Book Fanatic (Jordan’s Mystery Book Club partner)
- Jordan’s wedding picture Instagram post
- Jordan’s New / Original A Little Life Instagram post
Jordan runs the #bookstagram account @jordys.book.club, which has over 35,000 followers.
He is also a television Executive and lives in Los Angeles.
Mini Episode featuring Jayda Justus (@thehistorymom) on historical fiction and nonfiction history (airing January 29).
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon – When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
- ShareIf you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe …wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and ReviewSearch for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!