Ep. 25: Book of the Month with Siobhan Jones (Editorial Director) PLUS Early Reveal of August Pick!
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- What Siobhan’s job entails day-to-day.
- How Book of the Month picks its monthly selections (including how books initially get on their radar, how far in advance they pick the books, and what types of books “work” and “don’t work” for Book of the Month)
- Whether Siobhan personally reads all the picks every month.
- How books get matched with judges (it’s not how you think!).
- The September release Liberty Hardy has already read 3 times.
- Book of the Month‘s philosophy about the mix of books for each month.
- The rationale for and details about the February 2018 strategic changes at Book of the Month (including the disappearance and swift reappearance of the judges’ essays).
- Why authors whose books are Book of the Month selections end up becoming judges.
- The recent uptick in repeat authors.
- How Book of the Month chooses its recurring judges.
- Lightening round of Siobhan’s Book of the Month favorites.
- How Book of the Month chooses its December picks every year.
Siobhan’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Severance by Ling Ma | Buy from Amazon [27:03]
- The Municipalists by Seth Fried | Buy from Amazon [27:48]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center | Buy from Amazon [29:21]
- Lot: Stories by Bryan Washington | Buy from Amazon [31:26]
One Books She Didn’t Love
One New Release She’s Excited About (EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW OF AUGUST BOOK OF THE MONTH PICK)
Other Books Mentioned
- Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir | Buy from Amazon [7:50]
- Normal People by Sally Rooney (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:50]
- Summer of ’69 by Elin Hilderbrand | Buy from Amazon [10:54]
- The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams | Buy from Amazon [11:05]
- Recursion by Blake Crouch (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:20]
- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:20]
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang | Buy from Amazon [16:32]
- The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory | Buy from Amazon [16:32]
- Miracle Creek by Angie Kim (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [17:05]
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [17:46]
- Final Girls by Riley Sager | Buy from Amazon [18:23]
- Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough (Spoiler Discussion) | Buy from Amazon [19:40]
- Severance by Ling Ma | Buy from Amazon [20:42]
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides | Buy from Amazon [22:18]
- Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver | Buy from Amazon [23:32]
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver | Buy from Amazon [23:32]
- A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [24:32]
- How to Walk Away by Katherine Center (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [29:28]
- There, There by Tommy Orange | Buy from Amazon [31:48]
- Commonwealth by Ann Patchett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [37:53]
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [43:47]
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [44:15]
- From the Corner of the Oval by Beck Dorey-Stein (My Review) | Buy from Amazon[45:58]
- Book of the Month YA Subscription
- Episode 24: Grace Atwood and Becca Freeman (Co-Hosts of Bad on Paper Podcast)
- Grace Atwood and Becca Freeman (Co-Hosts of Bad on Paper Podcast)
- Book of the Month Judge Liberty Hardy
- Sarah’s Ultimate Guide to the Book of the Month Judges
- Sarah’s Behind Her Eyes Spoiler Discussion (#WTFthatending)
- Goodreads Most Popular Books Published in 2019
- Sarah’s Most Recent Book of the Month commentary post
- Slate article: “The Song Jonathan Franzen Called a “Great Song” at the End of Purity is the Worst Thing About Purity”
- Books Are Magic (indie bookstore in Brooklyn, NY)
- Book of the Month Facebook Group
- Siobhan Jones’s Instagram
Siobhan is the editorial director atBook of the Month. Prior to Book of the Month, she worked in the publishing industry and as a teacher. She hails from the midwest and loves tacos, puppies, and plotting the perfect way to get rid of her cell phone forever. Her favorite book is NW by Zadie Smith.
There is no new episode next week.
How to Join Book of the Month…
Book of the Month is a subscription service for people who like to try new books from a curated selection and like to read in hardcover format. Through Book of the Month, you can get a hardcover book for generally significantly less than you’d pay in a bookstore or through Amazon. And, you get to try something new that has been vetted by one of Book of the Month’s well-read judges!
Sign up for any of the subscription plans below and you get to choose one of five books selected by Book of the Month’s panel of judges (including a surprise guest judge). Book of the Month will then mail your chosen book to your house with a cute note. You also have the option to purchase additional books for $9.99 each and to skip a month if you want.
Sign up for a Book of the Month membership (NEW pricing below)!
New members will sign up for a membership that renews monthly:
A book of your choice for $14.99 / monthAdd extra books to your shipment for $9.99 eachSkip any month you wantFree shipping, always
Support the Podcast
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at email@example.com or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.