Ep. 17: The Pingel Sisters
In Episode 17, Jaclyn and Rachael (aka the Pingel Sisters) join me to talk sisterly reading and share their book recommendations.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Why the Pingel Sisters transitioned their blog from a lifestyle blog to a book blog.
- Our feelings about book reviews vs. book lists (reading them and writing them).
- Rachael and Jaclyn’s vastly different reading quantities.
- Rachael and Jaclyn’s different approaches to DNFing books (although Rachael is trying to come around).
- Why reading so many books a year causes Rachael not to be quite as picky.
- Rachael and Jaclyn’s very different reading tastes.
- The classic Jaclyn couldn’t stand (and Sarah plans to never pick up).
- Rachael’s Type A Book Club tendencies (which introduced her to contemporary fiction).
- The mother of all Reading Challenges.
- Why we all do not participate in Readathons.
Rachael’s and Jaclyn’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books They Love
- Jaclyn: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes | Buy from Amazon [14:29]
- Rachael: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell | Buy from Amazon [16:51]
Two NEW Books They Love
- Jaclyn: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Lifeby Jane Sherron de Hart | Buy from Amazon [18:07]
- Rachael: The Mother-in-Lawby Sally Hepworth | Buy from Amazon [21:15]
Two Books They Didn’t Love
- Jaclyn: When Life Gives You LuluLemons by Lauren Weisberger | Buy from Amazon [23:17]
- Rachael: The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton | Buy from Amazon [25:53]
Two New Releases They’re Excited About
- Jaclyn: Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell (Release Date: September 10, 2019) | Buy from Amazon [28:14]
- Rachael: Ask Again, Yesby Mary Beth Keane (Release Date: May 28, 2019) | Buy from Amazon[30:50]
Other Books Mentioned
- Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell | Buy from Amazon [8:12]
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy | Buy from Amazon [9:21]
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte | Buy from Amazon [10:00]
- I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [11:08]
- The Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon | Buy from Amazon [20:44]
- The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger | Buy from Amazon [23:37]
- The Lake House by Kate Morton | Buy from Amazon [25:59]
- The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton | Buy from Amazon [25:59]
- The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton | Buy from Amazon [27:27]
- Currently Reading Podcast
- Pingel Sisters 2019 Reading Challenge
- The Atlantic Magazine
- On the Basis of Sex (movie)
- Revisionist History (Malcolm Gladwell’s podcast)
- Bill Simmons’ podcast with Malcolm Gladwell
About The Pingel Sisters (Jaclyn and Rachael)
Jaclyn and her husband Steve met while studying psychology in college. They graduated together and were married the very next day. From there, they decided Steve would get a PhD while Jaclyn would pursue her career in higher education fundraising. She’s currently the Annual Giving Manager at UNC School of the Arts – a fabulous job where she can combine her nonprofit expertise with her love for the arts. Of the two of us, Jaclyn is much more the creative soul behind our blog inspiring all our visuals as well as our overall vision for our book blog.
Jaclyn and Steve are the proud parents of an energetic Little Boy, a dog and two cats. You’ll often find Jaclyn volunteering at a local nonprofit, re-reading her favorite books again and again, convincing herself she likes the gym, or playing Pokemon Go.
Ever since started this book blog, people often ask Rachael if she studied English or writing in college. Actually, Rachael graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics. She still acts as a math tutor for the neighborhood kids from time to time. In fact, her math degree has given her computer programming experience and a meticulous eye for detail. All these skills have combined to make her excellent at all the behind-the-scenes aspects of blogging.
Rachael currently lives in Utah, married to her favorite person in the entire world – Mark, the engineer. (Though, Jaclyn comes in at a close second.) They have four adorable little children ages 7 and under. Rachael loves to read in her pajamas, explore the outdoors with her little ones, and scheme up vacations to every inch of the globe.
Support the Podcast
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.