Ep. 11: Katharine from @ReadWithKat (Book Clubs & Living with Cystic Fibrosis)
In Episode 11, Katharine from @ReadWithKat joins me to talk about living with cystic fibrosis and her real-life book club that’s been going strong for 10 years.
This post contains affiliate links, through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Are we Team Lyla or Team Tyra (Friday Night Lights)?
- Living with Cystic Fibrosis…and how it impacts Katharine’s reading.
- An online book club for readers who like to read seasonally (Bookly Club).
- Katharine’s real life book club, which has been together for 10 years!
- Why Sarah dropped out of her real life book club.
- Two things we think might be the secret sauce to keeping a book club thriving (and one of them is totally counterintuitive).
- Katharine’s experience singing karaoke with author Elizabeth Gilbert.
Katharine’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Beartown by Fredrik Backman (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [20:59]
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi | Buy from Amazon [25:15]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Eloquent Rage by Brittney Cooper | Buy from Amazon [28:42]
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [30:40]
One Book She Didn’t Love
One Upcoming Releases She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman | Buy from Amazon [21:29]
- Us Against You by Fredrik Backman (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [24:31]
- The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs | Buy from Amazon [27:20]
- This Will Be My Undoing by Morgan Jerkins | Buy from Amazon [29:56]
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo | Buy from Amazon [29:56]
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo | Buy from Amazon [29:56]
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [3:54]
- The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [31:48]
- The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (My Quick Thoughts) | Buy from Amazon [33:07]
- Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstances by Ruth Emmie Lang | Buy from Amazon [33:07]
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt | Buy from Amazon [37:01]
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert | Buy from Amazon [37:35]
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert | Buy from Amazon [37:40]
- The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert | Buy from Amazon [37:43]
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [39:43]
- Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger | Buy from Amazon [43:11]
- The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory | Buy from Amazon [44:11]
- One Day in December by Josie Silver | Buy from Amazon [44:21]
- How to Walk Away by Katherine Center (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [44:28]
- The Bookly Club (Blog, Instagram)
- Friday Night Lights on Amazon Prime
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Sarah’s Book Club Recommendations List
- The Washington Post article about Paul Kalanithi’s widow and Nina Riggs’ widower finding love
- A Cup of Jo (Paul Kalanithi’s wife’s twin sister’s blog)
Katharine lives in Baltimore with her husband and miniature schnauzer. She works in higher education doing communications, and spends the rest of her time hoarding books (and reading as many as she can). She runs the instagram account @readwithkat, and is also 1/4 of @thebooklyclub. Katharine is also a cystic fibrosis patient and advocate, sharing her story of life with CF at local events and online. Her dream is to open up a bookstore.
Support the Podcast
- Share – If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Subscribe…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review – Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Feedback – I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at email@example.com or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.