945. What was the famous Usage Panel from the American Heritage Dictionary and how did the panel’s opinions influence dictionary entries? Steve Kleinedler, who managed the Usage Panel for many years, joins us this week with all kinds of fascinating inside-the-dictionary stories.
David Skinner article about the history of the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel
David Skinner’s book “The Story of Ain’t”
American Heritage Dictionary Old Tumblr
Steve Kleinedler’s book “Is English Changing?”
Steve Kleinedler on Twitter
Kory Stamper’s book “Word by Word”
Grammar Girl interview with Kory Stamper
| Transcript: https://grammar-girl.simplecast.com/episodes/steve-kleinedler/transcript
| HOST: Mignon Fogarty
| VOICEMAIL: 833-214-GIRL (833-214-4475) or https://sayhi.chat/grammargirl
| Grammar Girl is part of the Quick and Dirty Tips podcast network.
- Audio engineer: Nathan Semes
- Editor: Adam Cecil
- Advertising Operations Specialist: Morgan Christianson
- Marketing and Publicity Assistant: Davina Tomlin
- Digital Operations Specialist: Holly Hutchings
| Theme music by Catherine Rannus.