36. The Autobiography of Malcolm X, as told by Alex Haley, with Traci Thomas of The Stacks
Today, Traci Thomas of The Stacks podcast joins Chelsey and Sara to discuss The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm, X, as told by Alex Haley. We loved diving into this iconic nonfiction classic with our favorite nonfiction expert, and we’re so excited to share this conversation with you.
Follow The Stacks on Instagram
Join The Stacks Book Club on Patreon
Shop The Stacks merch
Shop Traci’s book recs
Our discussion includes:
- What makes this a “life-changing” book?
- Does The Autobiography of Malcolm X belong in the classroom?
- Which parts of the book ring especially true today
- Brilliant storytelling and an incredible use of rhetoric
Plus, as always, we’re recommending a bunch of contemporary pairings to read along with this classic.
Shop the pairings: https://bookshop.org/lists/novel-pairings-for-the-autobiography-of-malcolm-x
- Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention by Manning Marable
- The Dead are Arising by Malcolm X by Les Payne, Tamara Payne
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon
- Men We Reaped: A Memoir by Jesmyn Ward
- The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
- The Sword and the Shield: The Revolutionary Lives of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. by Peniel E. Joseph
- Stokely: A Life by Peniel E. Joseph
- Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy by Heather Ann Thompson
- Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose
- Punching the Air by Ibi Zoboi and Yusef Salaam
- X: A Novel by Ilyasha Shabazz and Kekla Magoon
- How We Fight for Our Lives by Saeed Jones